Thursday, October 18, 2012

3D set and Characters

For my animation I wanted to go with stop motion, reasons was I have not really done many stop motion animations, always been through photo-shop. I decided too go with stop motion so I needed to either build a scene separate of each frame or build one big set. 

I decided to go with building a 3D scene set after looking through research and I wanted to do it with wood. I then got my sized of wood and painted them because I wanted to give a illusion that they wasn't in the set they was actually in somewhere bigger, which was Savanna, also it would have a nice effect on the animation and give a more detail structure than just having objects standing up. 

first part of painting, under coat

final touches and detail

structured the walls together using a hot glue gun, which would give me a solid frame.

Bird view
I used felt and newspaper to make my trees, also paint and wool to create the leaves. I then used sponge to make the bushes and painted them, I used a real rock to create a bolder. Also I used plastic fake plants to give that extra real feeling of a desert or forest feel. I also used clay to make birds on top of the trees. 

Plan view of my finished set.

For my animation i needed characters, I was going for a felt look, but as I worked with felt I realized felt is not my best option because it would of been too large for my set. So after thinking what other material should I use, I thought to use clay. I don't really like using clay it doesn't work for me but I think it was my best option. I did in the end use clay they came out ok, I probably prefer it they was a little better or looked more how I wanted, and also I couldn't get black clay so I had to use white and then paint over. painting over doing so just mate my panthers crumble every time I wanted to move it around in my animation, so that was the down fall but otherwise i think the characters where good. 








In the end I decided to add more characters so I made snakes, because through my research there are a lot of snakes in savanna which was the theme, I started making my snake out of clay first, and decided it looked a little too playful. I decided then too use piper wires and twirl them around, using diamonds as eyes. 
Over all the animation came out really well and I am happy with the results. 

No comments:

Post a Comment